Join Our Team
Gunston prides itself on supporting a highly professional work environment and an authentic culture of collegiality. The school is a dynamic and engaging workplace, and we aim to recruit the highest quality candidates for all open positions.
In compliance with MD.Code, Educ.6-113.2 (House Bill 486), all applications must include the signed personal information form, available for download here.
Assistant to the Head of School & Alumni Coordinator
Job Title: Assistant to the Head of School and Alumni Coordinator
Reports to: Head of School
The Assistant to the Head of School and Alumni Coordinator is a member of the school administrative team reporting to the Head of School and External Relations Team (DER). The Assistant’s primary duties include supporting the Head of School and the annual Institutional Advancement Plan which includes constituency management, stewardship, and communications, marketing, and special events support.
You are a networker with strong time management skills who takes the initiative to figure out what is needed. Highly collaborative, skilled communicator with strong written, verbal, and visual skills who is willing to jump in and pinch hit when needed. You’re eager to get to know and become involved with the Gunston Community and feel comfortable communicating directly with constituents.
The ideal candidate has at least 3-5 years of experience in communications and is able to speak to (or show) specific projects or instances at previous positions that support this.
Support the Head of School (HOS)
- Maintain calendar and schedule meetings, board and committee meeting prep, coordinate student, faculty and staff meetings with HOS, assist with travel plans (field trips, conferences, etc.), prepare expense reports (mileage, etc.), maintain the board portal, answer phones and provide backup support to the Front Desk as needed.
Support the Institutional Advancement Program
- In partnership with the DER and HOS, support the development, implementation and management of all fundraising activities including annual giving, major gift programs, endowment and capital campaigns, special projects, and other school-related solicitations.
- Research prospects and gather information to produce reports in conjunction with the database administrator and recommendations to the HOS and DER to help facilitate the development of relationships so that we may implement strategies to increase major gifts through direct solicitation and/or head-, trustee-, or volunteer-facilitated solicitation.
- Fundraising training for trustees and other leadership volunteers, and cultivating a pool of fundraising volunteers.
- Implement and refine a robust Alumni engagement strategy to include increasing alumni engagement, and events.
- Act as Point of Contact for Alumni in order to plan and facilitate reunions, gatherings, and contacts.
- Assist with the management of the Student Worker Program
- Mentoring students, teaching communications basics, checking their work
- Attend GPA Meetings and functions and lend support when necessary.
Communications, Marketing & Special Events
- Help to keep the website up to date with fresh content and troubleshoot any issues
- Assist DER with content creation (take photos, video, write articles, social media posts, and press releases, etc.)
- Assist DER with logistics and event support
- Create a quarterly Alumni newsletter
- Assist with annual Multum in Parvo magazine
- Vidigami Point of Contact for updating student profiles, linking to parents and alumni, etc.
This is a full time salary position. Please email a cover letter and resume to:
Head of School
The Gunston School, an independent, nonsectarian, college preparatory day school (9-12) located in Centreville, MD seeks a full-time mathematics teacher for fall of 2023. Gunston has a deep commitment to the values of academic rigor, nurture, and personalization, and we offer unique programs in global and environmental education. Gunston endeavors to create and sustain an inclusive and equitable community that welcomes individuals from a variety of backgrounds and perspectives. We seek a dynamic candidate to join our welcoming and supportive community.
Qualified candidates must hold a bachelor’s degree in mathematics with a master’s degree preferred. We seek candidates comfortable with all levels of mathematics and highly qualified candidates will have particular preparation to teach the upper levels: precalculus, calculus, and AP Calculus. Candidates must also have a high degree of competency in the use of instructional technology. Gunston teachers are expected to develop and implement a variety of instruction and assessment methods in alignment with Gunston’s student-centered philosophy and departmental and school goals.
All Gunston faculty serve as advisors, and are involved with the school's extracurricular program. The school is particularly interested in candidates with diverse backgrounds and/or a desire to coach and assume a leadership role in the student clubs program.
Salary and benefits will be commensurate with a candidate’s background and experience, as aligned with local, state, and national benchmarks. Interested candidates should visit our website at www.gunston.org, and should send a cover letter, resume, and names and phone numbers of three references to:
Mrs. Christie Grabis
Assistant Head of School
The Gunston School
PO Box 200
Centreville, MD 21617
Part Time Opportunities
Equal Opportunity Employer
Gunston recognizes diversity, equity, and inclusivity as fundamental to our learning community and integral to a comprehensive education. We welcome candidates whose experience has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. Gunston is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.