An independent school education, with its high-level of personalization, small classes, high expectations, and focus on college preparation, is a significant investment in your child's future. The Gunston School understands that affording such an education is a concern for all families, regardless of income. Our Board of Trustees is committed to making Gunston education affordable for any motivated and talented students who meet our admissions criteria. Year after year, Gunston works to the best of its ability to meet the financial needs of each family through our generous financial aid program. Our hope is that every applicant that is accepted to Gunston can attend.
Need-Based Financial Aid
All families who are interested in financial aid are encouraged to apply. Gunston's financial aid awards are need-based grants, which result in reduced tuition for its recipients. Admission to Gunston is not dependent upon a family's ability to pay full tuition. Once students are admitted, the Financial Aid Committee meets to review the financial aid application and determines the amount of each grant. If a family qualifies for financial aid, award amounts will be included with a family's letter of acceptance. Therefore, financial aid applications will need to be submitted at https://www.solutionsbysss.com no later than the dates posted for the application for admission to Gunston. Please keep in mind the deadlines listed below.
Financial aid awards are only for one academic year, so families must reapply each year. Adjustments to an award can occur because of a change in a family's financial situation. However, barring such a change, Gunston is committed to providing aid during the child's entire time at school.
Apply for need-based financial aid at https://www.solutionsbysss.com. Be sure to enter Gunston's school code (3634) as a recipient of the generated financial report.
Deadlines for financial aid applications:
Families new to Gunston:
* Financial aid applications will need to be submitted concurrently with the application for enrollment to Gunston. Need-based financial aid will only be considered if the financial aid application is completed at the same time as the application for enrollment.
Returning Gunston families: Jan 31
Gunston's Merit Scholarship Competition is open to any 8th grade student who is applying to the school for the following academic year.
In ordered to be considered for one of the merit scholarships, an applicant will need to:
1) submit the Merit Scholarship Essay
2) have the Merit Scholarship Recommendation Form submitted on their behalf (this should be completed by a non-family member, and someone who can best attest to the student’s abilities & talents)
3) have a completed application for admission to Gunston on file, including a copy of the transcript
All submissions must be received by February 4, 2022. Applicants will be notified of results by February 18.
In recent years, an average of two incoming 9th-graders have had the opportunity to earn this scholarship; the value of which is equal to between 25-50% of the student's 9th-grade tuition.
Full tuition for the 2022-2023 school year is $27,850 (includes tuition and lunch).
Additional costs include:
- Books: approximately $400-$600
- Bay Studies Fee: $400
- Bus Transportation: available from MD: Annapolis, Arnold, Centreville, Chestertown, Church Hill, Easton, Galena, Kent Island, Queenstown, Severna Park DE: Dover, Middletown
Tuition Payment Plans
A 10% deposit is due with the contract. TGS offers the following interest-free payment options with Smart Tuition:
Option One: Interest-free monthly payments
All payments will be completed by February of the following year.
- 10-month plan begins in May
- Tuition Protection Plan is required.
Option Two: 60/40 Payment Plan
This plan consists of 2 payments per year.
- 60% of the balance is due August 1
- the remaining balance is due January 1
- Tuition Protection Plan is required.
Option Three: Payment in full
- After the deposit, the remaining balance is due August 1
- The Tuition Protection Plan is optional
Tuition Protection Plan
The Tuition Protection Plan is a cost of 3.1% of the net tuition amount.
Gunston also has information on loan programs available through various sources. Contact David Henry, Director of Admission for details.
“I can’t begin to tell you how much being part of the Gunston family has meant to us over the past six years. Each and every one of you have contributed to an environment that has nurtured the Newberg boys and really helped them clarify the thinkers, learners, and individuals that they are. With love and many thanks.”
– The Newberg Family
William Newberg ’20
Middleton Award (Valedictorian)
University of Virginia, Class of 2024